In conjunction with the Dewey’s Readathon (24hourreadathon.com), David Ker, founder of Little Zebra Books will be taking the challenge to read 24 books in 24 hours. The event begins at 1400 (2PM) in South Africa on Saturday, April 25, 2015 and ends 24 hours later on Sunday.
David will be doing the readathon to raise awareness and funds for the work of Little Zebra Books in Africa. Little Zebra Books provides beautiful books for children in African languages and distributes them in Mozambique and South Africa. Since its founding, Little Zebra Books has printed more than 50,000 books in three languages of Mozambique. Their books are also available in numerous other African languages through a partnership with the African Storybook Project (africanstorybook.org). This year, Little Zebra Books has launched a project for two South African languages: isiXhosa and Afrikaans.
For the readathon, David asked friends and fellow book lovers to recommend books for him to read. He’ll be reading books and tracking his progress at this address: http://littlezebrabooks.com/24books24hours and on Twitter using the hashtag #24books24hours. On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/24books24hours
Those wishing to donate to the read-a-thon can do so by sponsoring David for each book he reads (maximum: 24). All proceeds will go to funding the operations of Little Zebra Books. Click here to sponsor David!
The books that David will be reading include:
- Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- At the Foot of the Snows by David Watters
- Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
- Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling
- Blood ties by Zimkhitha Mlanzeli
- Where’s Jamela? by Niki Daly
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears retold by James Marshall
- The Book of Obadiah
- Daniel and the Lions by Ella K. Lindvall
- Mister Dog by Margaret Wise Brown
- Mama Don’t Allow by Thacher Hurd
- Go Dog Go by P.D. Eastman
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Day Gogo Went to Vote by Elinor Sisulu
- The Modern Con Man by Todd Robbins
- Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
- Knowing Christ Today by Dallas Willard
- Welcome to Our Hillbrow by Phaswane Mpe
- Raney by Clyde Edgerton
- Push Push by Sindiwe Magona
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
Stay tuned for the full list of books. If you want to suggest a book, visit the Facebook page: 24 Books 24 Hours or mention it on Twitter with the hashtag #24books24hours.